Previous Next

Taking a little time...

Posted on Thu Jun 28th, 2012 @ 2:28pm by Civilian (Clearance) Amanda Williams M.D.

For those of you who don't know, this is a bit of a rough time of year for me. My dad passed away 2 years ago, and the anniversary of that passing is a little more than a week away on July 10th. For this reason I'm taking at the very least, this weekend away from everything. I will be completely out of touch for this weekend at least until sunday or monday. When I come back from my weekend, I may still need time before I can jump back into things, or i may jump head long into things in order to keep myself busy. Won't know til it happens.

As a bit of background, my father passed away from ALS which is also known as MND (Motor Neuron Disease) or Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a neuro-muscular disease which randomly turns off the motor neurons through out the body.

95% of ALS patients end up totally paralyzed before the disease ultimately kills them. The other 5% generally start in the area of respiration (eg. diaphram) which if they are lucky, takes them before the paralysis sets in. 2% of ALS cases are familial, or genetic. Currently there is no known cause or cure for ALS, and the disease is ultimately fatal.

If you'd like to see a tribute video I created for my father the day of his funeral, then CLICK HERE Stick around to watch the credits for some ALS awareness, and some information on how you can help. All proceeds listed in the credits go towards helping ALS victims, their families, and for the never ending search for a cure.

 

Previous Next

Category: General News
Tags:

labels_subscribe